Wednesday, November 17, 2010

I am Thankful Day 17

I am thankful for my father and good news. He has been diligent in taking care of himself . He would visit the doctor regularly  and  take care to eat all the right food. His PSA has been rising over the past few years and has had several biopsies,  but this last one was different.  The thing he was dreading all this time was finally a reality. He was diagnosed with prostate cancer. Now anybody that knows my father would have thought that he would lose it after hearing that news. He is the type that worries about everything and anything. Sometimes he is over the top with worry, but for some reason this time he was eerily calm.  He didn't overwhelm himself with panic. This past Monday I went with him to the doctor whose ultimate recommendation was to do nothing. The cancer was only in one area of the prostate and the chance of anything happening in the next 10 years was only 10%. In 10 years, he will be 95, so that is great news. It then hit me hard that he will be 95 in 10 years, so there is a good  chance he may not be around any way regardless of the cancer. That made me sad, but also made me appreciate that I still have him with me. Its times like this that make me stop and think of how fortunate Bill and I are to still have our parents with us. I love you Dad!

1 comment:

  1. I'm so glad to hear that there's only 10% chance of return. God is good!!
    Yes, you are so fortunate to have your parents. Cherish them (even when they drive you nuts ;)

    ReplyDelete